Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Chapter 2 Versiculo 9, 'That One With All the Idol Worship' Edition 2.9.15

Area: Yungyuo   Comp: Elder Salas
 
Dear Everybody,

-Candelaría and Carnavales have started! Carnavales is Latino-America wide, as far as I'm aware, and consists basically in carrying around spray cans of foam and water balloons and making everyone's day miserable, especially since it's still the kind of weather where I can see my breath during the hottest part of the day. Candelaría is only in Puno, and to put it simply, it's idol worship. During these 2 weeks, Puno drinks more beer than the rest of Peru the rest of the year, all to celebrate 'The Virgin of Candelaría'. We're not even allowed to go close, but the effects are much longer reaching than the literal party in the middle of Puno.

-On Tuesday, we had so many appointments that we literally ran to make it to appointments on time, which is as successful as I can imagine.

-The Branch President left for the month of February, leaving us in charge of the whole branch. It's exhausting. Also, I'm not sure why, but since he left, the District President has changed essentially every other calling in the whole branch except for his. That'll be a surprise.

-Elder Salas needs his wisdom tooth taken out, and the dentist gave him 2 options: Remove the tooth, for 150 soles and (supposedly) 1 day of recovery, or come to his office every 15 days for the next 8 months, paying 1500 soles, to do a small surgery every time to align his tooth upright. Elder Salas actually asked for my advice, to which I told him he's crazy if he's even considering the second option.

-Spiritual Thought! D&C 136:31. I chose this almost a week ago and don't remember what it says, so just read it and let me know what you think.

Anyways, really nothing else happened this week. I was in Puno Wednesday and Thursday for a conferencía, I'm in Puno right now for a Zone Meeting, and this week I'm expecting to get drenched with water balloons almost constantly. Have a great week!

Sincerely,
Elder Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment