Monday, January 19, 2015

Month 1 Day 19, "The Continuation of Perceived Normality" 1.19.15

Area: Yunguyo   Comp: Elder Salas

Hello everyone!

-My new companion (as I previously mentioned) is named Elder Salas. He's from Arequipa, which is very very close to here. It's as if I was called to the Tucson mission, in terms of physical distance. He's a great guy! People really like him, and he's a hard worker, so that's basically all I could ask for. I'm excited though!

-I hadn't really realized, with a companion confined to bed and all, but we don't really have very many people in our teaching pool. We knocked on doors all week, which is both uneffective and exhausting. It's good though! We're making the first small dent in our 860 inactive members!

-I gave a talk again yesterday! 3rd time in the mission! It went ok. President was also out of town, which means I presided in a Sacrament Meeting for the first time. Interesting experience!

-Elder Cedeño had to go to Cusco a couple days, which means that I was in another trio for 3 days. No comment.

-"Your continuing exercise of faith will forge strength of character available to you in times of critical need. Such character is not developed in moments of great challenge or temptation. That is when it is used." Richard G Scott

-There's a Sister in the branch who had a baby a week ago, and almost died during the birth. That leaves her a bed-ridden, single mother of 5 children living in a one room apartment about the size of my bedroom back home. She also doesn't have running water, and only uses rainwater that runs off the roof into buckets that she has strategically placed. As missionaries, and as a member of the Branch Presidency, we've been visiting her quite a lot, and yesterday we went over with 10ish other people to build her a kitchen on the roof. My job was both to hand corrugated tin to the people on the second story, while simultaneously using my umbrella and a rock to make sure a surprisingly hostile dog didn't attack anyone. It was awesome in every kind of way!

Anyways, things are going well here! Our numbers are really low right now, but we're working like crazy and I feel like we help at least someone every day, which is success in my eyes!

Sincerely,
Elder Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment