Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Chapter 11 Versiculo 17--Thanksgiving Edition 11.17.14

Area: Juliaca  Comp.: Elder Ayo

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Assuming I did my math right, it should be Thursday, right? I hope so!

-I put up Thanksgiving decorations yesterday! I'm kind of limited here, so it's a hand-turkey that says "I'm thankful for..." and sticky-notes denoting the things we're thankful for. I'm actually really happy about it.

-We had exchanges this week! Last time Elder Wagner went with me, so this time he went with Elder Ayo. That was especially awesome since that meant I went with Elder Bodily, who's just as new as I am and neither of us really knew what we were doing. But we taught 2 lessons, got cake from a menos activo, and contacted 15 families! And even better, it was just ridiculously fun!

-Elder Ayo and I were in a mototaxi with the old Bishop when a Panai rode by on a motorcycle, and the Bishop pointed and said "Look how ridiculous! A Panai on a motorcycle!" That's what's ridiculous about Juliaca Bishop?!

-Spiritual Thought! This is from the hymn "Brightly Beams the Father's Mercy", which has become one of my favorites since I came out. It goes, "Trim your feeble lamp my brother; some poor sailor, tempest-tossed, Trying now to make the harbor, in the darkness may be lost. Let the lower lights be burning; send a gleam across the wave. Some poor fainting, struggling sea-man you may rescue, you may save." Even if you're not a missionary, you're still a missionary, especially with less actives. Let your light so shine, that they can find it! They might actually want to come back, and they just need someone to show them the way!

-We were in a lesson and I said the opening prayer, and right after our investigator asked what language I had just prayed in. Elder Ayo told her, "Spanish, he just sucks at pronunciation." So that's where my Spanish is at apparently.

-A 15 year old less active we're teaching told us that someone had graffitti-ed something really mean about her on the wall of the church. As soon as Elder Ayo and I heard that, we said "Heck no!", stood up, bought spray paint, and painted over it. The colors don't match at all. I'd feel bad if this wasn't Juliaca.

-We got a new Bishopric yesterday! I'm excited, since currently our Ward Mission Leader and Young Women's President are inactive, we don't have a Young Men's organization, and we sing all of our hymns acappella despite the fact that Church Headquarters gave us a radio and the CD's of all the instrumental versions of the hymns.

Anyways, things are good down here! We spend most of our time teaching and jumping drunks, which is a blast! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Sincerely,
Elder Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment